Tuesday, June 1, 2010

What I learned about research

I learned that research involves a lot of trial and error as opposed to entering obvious keywords on google and skimming the results. It involves sifting through a variety of topics and key words which may or may not be related to my interest. It can be surprising which words can be related. It can be frustrating how redundant it can be to find a relevant article on a specific viewpoint, etc.
The most valuable tool I acquired in this process is learning how great the scholarly databases are. I found a number of quality articles and other publications on my topic- too many to even use in my paper. Until this point I only used google to find relevant information, which made it very challenging determining whcih sources were valuable and which were not. The databases essentially cut my work in half.
I still need to work on fleshing out both sides of the issue. I think it would help if I practice writing from viewpoints that I do not agree with because it is so much easier for me to embellish the side I believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment